Heath made the biggest gain, jumping from No. 39 in 2010 to No. 11 this year. Why? Two reasons: violent crimes fell (from 3.07 per 1,000 residents to 1.3), and home sales prices are up more than $66,000.
The city's pitch: "A premier residential community located along the shores of Lake Ray Hubbard in Rockwall and Kaufman Counties ... The City of Heath is committed to preserving a special way of life where rolling hills and the sparkling lake provide a serene backdrop for beautiful neighborhoods and distinctive homes. While this pastoral setting offers a sense of being removed from the bustle of city life, residents enjoy spectacular views of the Dallas skyline and easy access to the business, cultural, and entertainment amenities" of North Texas."
- Median Age: 49.2
- Population Growth: 10.7 %
- Population Density: 1039.1 ppl/sq mile
- School District: Rockwall ISD
- Students Passing TAKS: 87%
- Average SAT Score: 1072
- Violent Crime Rate: 1.300 per 1,000 residents
- Non-Violent Crime Rate: 11.7 per 1,000 residents
- Average Price of Homes Sold: $441,141