Allen The More Things Change...
Two decades ago, people moved to Allen because it was a good place to raise a family. Back then, it had a Dairy Queen, Walmart, and a grocery store. In some ways, not much has changed. It is still touted by locals as one of the best places to grow up. But long-time residents might not recognize much else about their city. Residents love the Allen Eagle Escadrille (the high school band), award-winning library, parks, tree-lined medians, exemplary schools for all socioeconomic levels, quiet neighborhoods, and low crime rate. The east side of the city is older, with smaller, more affordable homes and a Braum’s. The west side is home to Allen Premium Outlets (the mother ship of upscale bargain hunters) and Allen’s own version of the West Village—Watters Creek, which is perhaps the loveliest suburban setting to shop at Origins or Ann Taylor Loft before enjoying the wine at Cru or Brooklyn-style pizza at Grimaldi’s.
- Median Age: 34.7
- Population Growth: 13.3 %
- Population Density: 3292.8 ppl/sq mile
- School District: Allen ISD
- Students Passing TAKS: 92%
- Average SAT Score: 1080
- Violent Crime Rate: 0.748 per 1,000 residents
- Non-Violent Crime Rate: 19.0 per 1,000 residents
- Average Price of Homes Sold: $247,653